Satan will appear in the skies impersonating Christ in a counterfeit Second Coming this month of September when there’s a great revival event planned. Sadly, most Christians will be deceived.
In the Bible there are many prophetic references to the counterfeit second coming, many of which have been veiled until our generation. Satan is going to impersonate Christ, disguised as an angel of light. I discussed this at great length in two podcasts I produced last year, called “Satan’s Appearing” and “The Devil Is in the Detail”. In those two studies I presented a large body of evidence from God’s word warning about this very dangerous deception that “would deceive, if it were possible, even the very elect” (Matthew 24:24).
In Bible prophecy, there’s a principle called “Contemporary Recognition of Prophetic Fulfillment”. This principle says that prophecy is fully understood just before the time of its fulfillment.
Brothers and sisters, the time has come for the prophecy about THE false Christ to be fulfilled. The Lord is opening the scriptures to reveal all the details about Satan’s bold move. I’m blowing the trumpet that Satan’s counterfeit of Jesus’ return is imminent. Not only will it happen this year, it’s only weeks away. I believe Satan will appear as an angel of light this month of September, and today I’m going to share with you more biblical and extra-biblical evidence to support my point of view.
I know this is an unpleasant topic. Of course, I’d rather be talking about Jesus and His saving grace. The problem is that, if any of God’s people receive the wrong Jesus, they will die the second death.
Those who refuse to believe the truth will receive strong delusion to believe the lie. Listen to what the word of God says in 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12, speaking of Satan’s appearing:
“9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie (“pseudo” in Greek, which means falsehood): 12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.”
Those who receive the wrong Jesus won’t be able to receive God’s Holy Spirit. As a result, they will receive eternal damnation.
I’m here to give you a very solemn warning. You need to know that Satan is out to deceive you. He will imitate Jesus’ Second Coming as closely as the Lord will allow him to. This is the “nearly overmastering delusion” Ellen G. White warns of.
Today we’ll start by looking at the extra-biblical evidence, to understand why this event would take place in 2020. Then we’ll go deep into the bible testimony. First we’ll review what we learned in our last study, and then we’ll consider a very symbolic and mysterious passage found in Zechariah 5. In the light of all of that evidence, we’re going to try and situate this future event on the prophetic calendar.
Stay with me until the very end and you’ll be blessed.
Remember that you can listen to the podcast on our website at citybiblegroup.com. You’ll also find it on all the major podcasting platforms such as iTunes, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher Radio, iHeart Radio, and all the Android podcasting apps. The other way you can join us is on our YouTube channel. We typically release the podcast video about a week after the podcast goes out. I would love to hear from you! Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. And let me stay in touch with you by subscribing to our newsletter on the website at citybiblegroup.com
Let’s get started!
Why will Satan appear in 2020?
- 2020 is the year of vision. He’s going to show himself as an angelic being in dazzling glory, unlike anything men have ever seen. Let’s read a statement by Ellen White taken from the book “From Here to Forever”, pages 378 – 379: “As the crowning act in the great drama of deception, Satan himself will personate Christ. The church has long looked to the Saviour’s advent as the consummation of her hopes. Now the great deceiver will make it appear that Christ has come. Satan will manifest himself as a majestic being of dazzling brightness, resembling the description of the Son of God in the Revelation.” Revelation 1:13-15.HF 378.4
- The glory that surrounds him is unsurpassed by anything that mortal eyes have yet beheld. The shout of triumph rings out, “Christ has come!” The people prostrate themselves before him. He lifts up his hands and blesses them. His voice is soft, yet full of melody. In compassionate tones he presents some of the same heavenly truths the Saviour uttered. He heals diseases, and then, in his assumed character of Christ, claims to have changed the Sabbath to Sunday. He declares that those who keep holy the seventh day are blaspheming his name. This is the strong, almost overmastering delusion. Multitudes give heed to sorceries, saying, This is “the great power of God.”
- 2020 is the year of the mask. The primary use of a mask is to conceal one’s true identity and/or to pretend to be someone or something else. Countless people wearing masks will behold Satan in his assumed glory of the assumed identity of Christ. In other words, Satan will be masquerading as Christ. He understands symmetry and symbols. He’s created a world stage that’s in perfect harmony with his theft of Jesus’ identity.
- Satan will be allowed to impersonate Christ before the passing of the Sunday Law. He knows that most Adventists see the Sunday Law as the beginning of the end. They’re are waiting for the Sunday Law in order to prepare. Satan wants to surprise a sleeping church. Surprise is one of the key success factors in warfare. Satan invented war, he knows that only too well.
- Satan wants to appear before God pours out His Spirit upon His people. The Spirit of God is called “ruach” in Hebew, which means wind or spirit. People that are wearing masks can’t breathe properly, they can’t be “in-spired”, they can’t be filled by God’s Spirit. Those that receive the false Christ and his evil spirit will be precluded from receiving the genuine Holy Spirit.
- The Pope’s victory rally planned for October of this year implies that he’ll have received some form of worldly authority by then. We know it’s the dragon that gives him his power, his seat and great authority (Revelation 13:2).
- The main reason why Satan will appear this year of course is because it’s the appointed time. God is sovereign on the throne. He calls the shots. He controls everything in the universe. Satan can only do what he’s allowed to do when he’s allowed to do it. The timing of this event as described in the scriptures is his only window of opportunity. Take it or leave it. If he doesn’t show up on cue, he won’t be allowed to do so. God is the potentate of time, and everything happens in His divine timing.
Bible Chronology of the Counterfeit Second Coming
Bible typology as well as Bible prophecy agree as to the sequence of prophetic events: Satan’s deception comes right after the Corona Virus quarantine and before the Sunday Law. We have three Bible witnesses and one additional confirmation from the Spirit of Prophecy.
- In the typology of the period of 40 days and nights in the Bible we saw that as He was finishing His quarantine in the desert, Jesus encountered Satan face-to-face.
- In the typology described in Chapters 7 through 12 of the Book of Ezekiel, coming out of a period of pestilence, war and economic collapse, the Lord took the prophet in vision to the temple of Jerusalem. There he saw “the idol of jealousy in the north”, that we demonstrated is a type of Satan’s appearing. (If you haven’t listened to our last podcast I invite you to have a listen – it’s called “085 – Typology of End Time Events”). Only after the idol of jealousy appears does the prophet see the church elders worshipping the sun toward the east, which is a type of the Sunday Law.
- In Revelation 13:2-5 we read:
“2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority. 3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast. 4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him? 5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.” The dragon is worshipped first, then the beast is worshipped, and then the beast system is given authority to rule during 42 months. The authority to rule corresponds to the Sunday Law.
In addition to the Bible testimony, we have a statement by Ellen White from Manuscript Releases, Vol 19, page 282 [manuscript 153, 1902]
“In the last days Satan will appear as an angel of light, with great power and heavenly glory, and claim to be the Lord of the whole earth. He will declare that the Sabbath has been changed from the seventh day to the first day of the week; and as lord of the first day of the week he will present this spurious sabbath as a test of loyalty to him. THEN will take place the FINAL FULFILLMENT of the Revelator’s prophecy.” And she quotes the verse in Revelation 13 we just quoted.
Brothers and sisters, we can’t wait until the Sunday Law to get ready. By then it might be too late.
Now that we’ve done some context-setting, let’s go deep into the bible testimony:
- We’re going to study two verses from Zechariah Chapter 5, where we find a very mysterious passage that’s clearly written in symbolic language. This is a passage that’s seldom studied, but it contains a great secret. It describes Satan’s counterfeit appearance in symbolic language and more specifically, it gives us the timing of that event.
- We’ll briefly look at a second bible witness in the book of Daniel that confirms HOW Satan will appear. HOW Satan will appear is the reason why so many will be deceived.
- We also need a second witness as to WHEN Satan will appear. We’ll find that in the book of Revelation.
- We’ll answer the question, in today’s context, is there some event planned which would be the perfect stage for the counterfeit second coming?
- Finally, we’ll try to understand the implications of the counterfeit second coming for God’s Remnant Church, and how we can protect ourselves against this great deception.
The Mystery of the Flying Scroll
Zechariah 5 is composed of three visions:
- The first vision starts in verse 1, where the prophet sees a flying roll or scroll
- The second vision starts in verse 5, where the prophet sees a woman seated in a basket that can hold an ephah of grain
- The third vision starts in verse 9, where the prophet sees two women with stork wings carrying the basket through the air
The three visions are connected because they all start the same way: “I lifted up my eyes and saw”. The bible translation says “I lifted up my eyes and looked”, but in reality, the Hebrew word is “raah (H7200)”, “saw”.
Throughout the entire passage there’s an angel speaking with Zechariah to help him understand what he’s seeing. For lack of time we won’t be able to analyze the entire chapter. Suffice it to say that the chronology we find in this chapter agrees with what we’ve said: Dragon appears first, then the anti-christ beast, then apostate Protestantism who build an image to the beast.
Today we’re only going to focus on the first vision, the vision of the flying scroll, considering only two verses, 1 and 3.
In order to understand those two key verses of Zechariah Chapter 5, we need to do a couple of things:
- Look at the meaning of all key words and phrases in the original language and how they’re referenced in other bible passages.
- We need to look for the keys to unlock Zechariah 5 in other bible passages
- Genesis 3
- Revelation 1
- Revelation 12
- Revelation 17
- Daniel 8
- Psalm 40
First Vision: The Flying Scroll
In this vision, the Lord is telling us in encrypted language HOW and WHEN Satan will stage his counterfeit appearing. Let’s consider the HOW first.
Zec 5:1 “ Then I turned, and lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a flying roll.” The word translated as “looked” should actually read “saw” (raah in Hebrew).
Zec 5:3 “Then said he (the angel) unto me (Zechariah), This is the curse that goeth forth over the face of the whole earth.”
Let’s begin by establishing the identity of the flying scroll, the Word gives us the clue in verse 3.
The first curse ever pronounced was spoken by God upon the serpent in Genesis 3:14-15, after causing Adam and Eve to sin. Verse 14 says: “And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:”
So the curse that goes over the face of the whole earth is the serpent, that is to say, Satan. The serpent bewitched Eve and caused her to sin. The same bewitchment will be used again to seduce and hypnotize all who did not receive the love of the truth.
Do we have additional confirmation of the flying scroll being Satan? Yes we do.
In Revelation 12 we Let’s read in Revelation 12:3: “And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.” Later on in verse 9 we read: “And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world”.
Zechariah 5:3 says: “This is the curse that goeth forth over the face of the whole earth:” It’s also telling us that Satan will fly across the whole earth.
“I lifted up mine eyes and saw” is exactly how the vision of the ram and the he-goat starts in Daniel 8! The he-goat represents Satan and flies across the face of the whole earth. Let’s read quickly from Daniel 8:3-6. I want you to listen closely to how Daniel begins to describe the vision:
“3 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and saw, and, behold, there stood before the river a ram which had two horns: and the two horns were high; but one was higher than the other, and the higher came up last. 4 I saw the ram pushing westward, and northward, and southward; so that no beasts might stand before him, neither was there any that could deliver out of his hand; but he did according to his will, and became great. 5 And as I was considering, behold, an he goat came from the west on the face of the whole earth, and touched not the ground: and the goat had a notable horn between his eyes.”
We need a short explanation here. If you had never considered that this vision in Daniel 8 was anything other than Medo-Persia and Greece, remember that the context defines the symbols. At the end of the vision it is said, “Unto two thousand three hundred days, then shall the Sanctuary be cleansed”. So the Sanctuary is an additional context-setter in this passage that provides an additional interpretation for the ram and the he-goat. I believe this is actually the primary application of this vision, because the angel Gabriel said “Son of man, the vision is for the time of the end”.
Like the ram, the goat is a sanctuary animal. In the typical Day of Atonement ceremony in ancient Israel two goats were involved. One was the Lord’s goat which served to atone for sin. The other was called the scapegoat who was made to bear all the sins of the congregation. The scapegoat is a type and shadow of Satan.
If we needed any confirmation, in Daniel 8:21 the Angel Gabriel refers to the he-goat as a “rough goat”. The word translated as “rough” means devil, fawn, satyr and is the same word used when referring to the idol worship of Israel.
We get a second witness of the sheep and goats typology in a parable in Matthew 25. The sheep represent the righteous and stand at the right hand of Jesus, directionally the east. The goats represent the wicked and stand at the left hand of Jesus, directionally the west.
Daniel’s vision reveals in symbolic language that Satan will appear in the sky flying across the face of the whole earth from west to east, whereas Jesus will appear in the sky flying from east to west. In other words, Satan’s feet also won’t touch the ground, but he’ll be flying in the wrong direction. For those of you who think you’re safe because you know that when Jesus returns His feet won’t touch the ground, be vigilant, because Satan’s feet won’t touch the ground either. This fact, added to the splendor of his assumed glory, is the fact why most Christians and most of the world will be deceived.
Back to Zechariah 5:1:
I lifted up mine eyes: This is also direct connection to Ezekiel 8:5 that we studied in our last podcast: “Then said he unto me, Son of man, lift up thine eyes now the way toward the north. So I lifted up mine eyes the way toward the north, and behold northward at the gate of the altar this image of jealousy in the entry.” This image represents Satan and the text appears to indicate that Satan will first appear in the north. We already said that in the chronology that event happens before the prophet sees church elders worshipping the sun, in other words, Satan the image of jealousy appears it before the Sunday Law.
When will Satan appear?
Now, let’s consider more precisely WHEN Satan will show up masquerading as Jesus.
The first verse in Zechariah 5 also gives us the timing of Jesus’ return. Let’s read verse 1 again. “Then I turned, and lifted up mine eyes, and saw, and behold a flying roll.” The word translated as “turned” is actually “returned” – shub.
This is very important, so the verse should read. “Then I returned, and lifted up mine eyes, and saw, and behold, a flying roll or scroll.”
“And behold a flying scroll”. So the prophet sees a roll, scroll, book, volume. The Hebrew word is Megillah (H4039) which can be translated as roll, volume, scroll. The 1st mention of this Hebrew word is in Psalm 40:7: “Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me”. Clearly, this flying scroll has some association with Jesus’ second coming. What specific book deals with Jesus’ Second Coming? The Book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ of course.
The key question is, when did the prophet see the flying scroll? The answer is: when he returned. The bible is telling us that Satan will show up to impersonate Jesus when there is a return of God’s people to the Lord. In other words, when there’s a REVIVAL.
Do we have a second witness for that? Yes we do!
Revelation chapter 1 gives us the second witness as to WHEN Satan will counterfeit Jesus’ return. Let’s read Revelation 1:7 to set the context for what we’re looking for: “Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.”
Now let’s read in verses 10 – 16 of the same chapter the description of how Jesus appeared to John the Revelator:
“10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, 11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea. 12 And I turned (returned) to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; 13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. 14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; 15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. 16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.”
Satan will show up looking like the vision of Jesus that John the Revelator saw , and he will do that when God’s people return to Him.
Brothers and sisters, Satan will make his appearance masquerading as Christ “when God’s people return” in a great revival. They will lift up their eyes, and see. See what? See something that resembles the magnificence of Jesus in His glorified body as He appeared to John the Revelator in heaven.
Revival: The Return of God’s People
Only one key question remains now: Is there a great revival planned for this year? Yes, and it’s been in the making since 2019. It will culminate with a massive worldwide event called “The Return: National and Global Day of Prayer and Repentance” which will be held on September 26, 2020 in Washington DC, but will be broadcast across the world.
Let me read you directly from their website (thereturn.org):
“The Return is a movement, an appointed time, and a specific day set apart for one purpose – the return to God by coming before His presence in humility, in sincerity in prayer, and repentance.
The movement begins now and will continue through the entire year of 2020 leading up to 10 Days of Vigilant Prayer – Starting with the Biblical Feast of Trumpets and ending with the Day of Atonement (September 18-September 28). The central day of The Return will be Saturday, September 26, 2020 on the National Mall and throughout the nation and world.
Come to the Live Event in Washington or take part by Live Simulcast wherever you are – In your Home, Church, Town, or City!”
The man leading the charge is Messianic Rabbi Jonathan Cahn (he’s one of the original branches Paul talked about referring to the Jews). But he’s being joined by all the big evangelists and worship leaders in the US and across the world. Check out their Leaders and Partners pages and you’ll see that they have an impressive line-up with lots of Christian artists and media involvement.
In addition to the event itself being called “The Return”, do we have a second witness that this is the return Satan has been waiting for? Is this the cue that gives Satan the green light to show up? Yes, we do. As you would expect, their event scripture is 2 Chronicles 7:14: “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”
The Hebrew word for “turn” used in this verse is shub (Strong’s H7725), which means to turn back, to return, and is the same word used in Zechariah 5. The Greek equivalent is epistreph’o, Strong’s G1994, which also means to turn, to turn back or to return.
In the light of all of these signs and codes in the bible testimony that are given as cues in this event, I believe Satan is going to stage his appearing as an angel of light any day on that Sabbath, because this is how he will attempt to “deceive, if it were possible, even the very elect”.
He may not show up at the event itself, because the bible testimony indicates rather that Satan will show up in the desert. However, that Return event is his cue to appear on the world stage disguised as Jesus.
There’s always a margin of error in prophecy and prophetic interpretation. What happens if he doesn’t?
- You’ll still be forewarned. Forewarned is forearmed. The level of danger for you remains the same whether he appears this September or September next year or ten years from now.
- It may mean that he changed his plan because we blew his cover. Just as with Jonah, where the prophecy wasn’t fulfilled because the people of Nineveh repented, Satan might change his mind and decide to find another platform for his appearing.
- My analysis is wrong and I’ve either misread the Bible evidence or am wrong that this event is his cue. But I don’t think so!
Brothers and sisters, the evidence is overwhelming. The counterfeit second coming is imminent. It’s very likely that this Return event planned for September in Washington DC is Satan’s only cue, and he may not get another chance. Remember that Satan’s moves are authorized by the Lord. Satan can only do what he’s authorized to do by the One sitting on the throne.
My last piece of evidence as to why I believe Satan will show up in this timing is the Pope’s convocation to Rome planned for the month of October. In previous podcasts I had explained that this event would be a victory rally modeled after Hitler’s Nuremberg rallies in Nazi Germany. Well, now we understand what the victory is all about. The dragon will be giving him his power, and his seat, and great authority.
Things are going to move very, very quickly from now on.
How to protect ourselves from the nearly overmastering delusion
First of all, we need to understand exactly how Jesus will come so that we’re not accepting the wrong Jesus. That would be absolutely fatal! If we receive the wrong spirit that would preclude us from receiving God’s Holy Spirit and we would be lost. So it’s very important to go to the scriptures to understand HOW Jesus will appear. Check out my two previous podcasts where I discuss the counterfeit versus the genuine “Parousia” or appearing. They’re titled “Satan’s Appearing” and “The Devil Is in the Detail”.
Secondly, we need to keep ourselves from going to see the counterfeit Christ. Jesus was very serious when He warned His disciples of the danger:
“23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
25 Behold, I have told you before.
26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.” (Matthew 24:23-27
Why is it so dangerous to look at Satan? For two reasons:
Satan could bewitch those who step outside God’s hedge of protection, just like he did with Eve. She had stepped outside God’s boundary of protection by leaving her husband’s side and approaching the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.
We could be so overwhelmed by Satan’s assumed glory that we could end up worshipping him. Twice in heaven John the Revelator made the mistake of worshipping an angel, even where he was so close to the Lord!
In Revelation 19:10 John tells us: 10 And I fell at his feet (the feet of an angel) to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
It happened a second time!
We read about the second experience in Revelation 22:8-9: “And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. 9 Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.”
So don’t go, and don’t expose yourselves to the coverage of the event on TV or on the internet.
The Conclusion of the Whole Matter
Brothers and sisters, we are so close to the end! Satan’s appearing is the Abomination of Desolation that triggers the 1290 Timeline of Daniel 12. Whenever Satan appears masquerading as Jesus, that is the trigger to start the 1290-Day countdown. (We’re going to revisit the Daniel 12 timelines in one of our upcoming podcasts.) The 1290-Day Timeline will take us very close to the genuine Second Coming, of which we know not the day nor the hour.
And you know what that means, right? 15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: 17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: 18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. 19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: 21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect’s sake those days shall be shortened.”
Brothers and sisters, God has shortened the time. It’s urgent that we flee the cities and escape to the hills. God has prepared a place for each and every one of us, as He did for the pure church of Revelation 12:14: “And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.” God had prepared her place for her, and he has prepared a place for you. Let’s each the spirit of Joshua and Caleb and let’s go possess that safe place, in Jesus’ conquering name!
I pray that all of us will receive in our hearts the love of the truth and not be deceived by the nearly overmastering delusion that will sweep away most of the Christian church and the world. May we be found faithful to the real Jesus who sits on the throne of our hearts.