“Now the beast which I saw was like a leopard, his feet were like the feet of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion. The dragon (Satan) gave him his power, his throne, and great authority” (Revelation 13:2)
Daniel 7, Revelation 13 and Revelation 17 are three Bible chapters that give us a very detailed description of the beast, also known as the anti-christ. The anti-christ power was already at work behind the scenes during the time of the Apostle Paul (2 Thessalonians 2:7). But it was only fully revealed and officially enthroned in 538 A.D., several centuries after Paul and Jesus’ disciples were gone.
That power is alive and well today. Revelation 13:3 tells us: “And I saw one of his heads as if it had been mortally wounded, and his deadly wound was healed. And all the world marveled and followed the beast”. We are witnessing in our time the healing of the wound. When healed, the papacy will regain the total world dominion that it lost in 1798 when it “received the deadly wound” at the hands of the French army.
The Bible gives us many powerful descriptors of the beast or anti-christ, so that we may be able to identify it. Because there are no idle words in the Bible I was curious to learn about the characteristics of the leopard: “Now the beast which I saw was like a leopard” (Revelation 13:2). What I discovered chilled my blood, because God’s saints will have to face the anti-christ enemy again before Jesus comes.
Before we analyze the characteristics of the leopard to help us understand how this anti-christ power operates in the world, let’s do a quick recap of some of the key biblical facts about this power:
- The dragon (Satan) gave it its power. Satan – formerly known as Lucifer – rebelled against God and made war in heaven against His government (Revelation 12:7-9). As a result he and his fallen angels were cast down to earth.
- The dragon makes war against God’s people (Revelation 12:17, 13:7) who are commandment-keepers. He employs the anti-christ to wage this war against God’s people, which it did for 1260 years during the atrocious persecutions of the Middle Ages.
- The anti-christ hates God’s fourth commandment “Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy”. We learn in Daniel 7:25 that this power “thought to change times and law”. God’s law is established in heaven and cannot be changed, but the papacy certainly has tried and to a great degree has succeeded in establishing Sunday as the day of worship in replacement of God’s holy Sabbath.
- Whoever worships the beast worships Satan, because we read earlier that the dragon gave the beast its seat, authority and power (Revelation 13:2).
- The kings of the earth also gave their power and authority to the beast (Revelation 17:3). They helped entrench the papacy’s supremacy in the medieval world. We will see this happen again in the end time. As part of the healing of the deadly wound the papacy will recover its dominion over the entire world: “It was granted to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them. And authority was given him over every tribe, tongue, and nation” (Revelation 13:7). This may have seemed unreal a couple of decades ago, but when we see Pope Francis’ active ambassadorship in the United Nations and directly in the countries, it doesn’t seem quite so farfetched.
With this in mind, let’s now examine the characteristics of the leopard, one of the fiercest animals in existence, and see if we can find any correlation to the Roman anti-christ power:
|Smallest of the big cats||Smallest of the nations at the time it emerged and even now (Daniel’s “little horn” – Daniel 7:8). The Vatican is the smallest independent state in the world.|
|Excellent camouflage, adaptable and able to blend in with their surroundings||Pretends to work for the Kingdom of God while in fact it undermines it. Adapts to the culture: for example, very conservative in the 40’s and 50’s, in the 60’s through the 2nd. Vatican Council sought to adapt to the modern world, and in today’s licentious society Pope Francis simply says “Who am I to judge?”|
|Active during the night while the other animals sleep||Works tirelessly in the darkness – the world is oblivious to its negotiations behind the scenes. For several months the Pope worked with Cuba in total secrecy to help reestablish relations with the US. The nations only found out at the end, when the lift of the US embargo on Cuba was lifted.|
|Leopards are agile and fast. Run at nearly 60 kms/hr, leap over 20 ft. horizontally and up to 10 ft. vertically.||The final prophetic movements will be rapid. Since his inauguration in 2013 Pope Francis has become a world leader and media darling, receiving the accolades and endorsements of the press and the “kings of the earth”. He will rise to world dominion in a very short time.|
|Solitary and territorial||Pope does not have a companion. “He shall regard neither the God of his fathers nor the desire of women, nor regard any god; for he shall exalt himself above them all” (Daniel 11:37)|
|Ferocious hunter, ambush predator. Stalks the prey and approaches as close as possible.||The Bible says that the anti-christ power is drunk with the blood of the saints (Revelation 17:6). During the Inquisition alone, 50 million innocent people were murdered because they disagreed with the Roman Catholic Church’s canons.|
|Powerful swimmer||Revelation 17:1 tells us that the harlot church who committed fornication with the kings of the earth “sits on many waters”.|
|Climbs trees||“The body structure of a leopard is built for tree climbing. Its back legs are very powerful and muscular and can propel them into very high places”.|
|Hangs its prey on a tree||The leopard beast and anti-christ power is Roman. The Romans crucified their “criminals” on high crosses that required great effort to lift off the ground. During the Middle Ages, the papacy burned millions of God’s saints at the stake. The stakes were often elevated by being placed on a platform or podium. This gave the appearance of height. Some had the form of a cross and the victim’s arms were tied over and back of the horizontal beam so that they would hang instead of stand.|
Powerful comparison to say that the anti-christ beast is like a leopard. Powerful truths that we as the last generation need to know.
Clearly, interesting times lie ahead as we watch the deadly wound being healed right before our eyes. Stay tuned for more insights on Bible prophecy being fulfilled in our generation.
Jesus is coming soon. Are you ready?
(For more information on and characteristics of the anti-christ power, listen to our podcast episode “The Mark of the Beast“).